Pregnancy Calendar for Dogs
Fri 24 Aug 2007
Thu 9 Aug 2007
- First day of mating.
- 48 hours after the first mating the bitch should be mated again. Subsequent matings occurring over a period of time enhance the chances of fertilaziton taking place.
- The spermatozoa migrate up through the cervix.
Fri 10 Aug 2007
- Sperm travel searching for a mature ripened eggs.
Fri 10 Aug 2007 -
Sat 11 Aug 2007
- Spermatozoa reach the eggs in the oviducts.
Sat 11 Aug 2007 -
Sun 12 Aug 2007
- Fertilisation occurs in the oviducts which lead from the ovaries to the uterus.
Sun 12 Aug 2007 -
Tue 14 Aug 2007
- Fertilised eggs migrate down the oviducts and into the uterine horns.
- The migration continue to enable even spacing of the embryos.
- During this migration the eggs will grow into a blastocystes.
Mon 20 Aug 2007 -
Wed 22 Aug 2007
- The blastocystes implant in the wall of the uterus.
Mon 20 Aug 2007 -
Mon 3 Sep 2007
- The blastocystes will grow into an embryos.
- During the next two weeks the important organs will develop.
Thu 23 Aug 2007 -
Thu 30 Aug 2007
- Dams nipples begin to pink enlarge.
- The fur on the dams belly and around the nipples may become thinner.
Wed 29 Aug 2007 -
Wed 5 Sep 2007
- Morning sickness might occur due to hormonal changes or stretching and distension of the uterus. Dam may appear a bit apathetic. She may be off her feed for a while and vomit from time to time.
- Feeding the dam several meals spaced throughout the day might help.
- Your veterinarian may want to prescribe a drug to relax the uterus.
Mon 3 Sep 2007 -
Fri 7 Sep 2007
- An experienced person (a breeder or a veterinarian) can tell by careful palpation whether the dam is pregnant.
- It's now the best time to do this because the embryos are walnut-sized now and easy to count.
Thu 6 Sep 2007
- Start to increase the dams food ration.
- Don't overfeed, excessive weight gain should be avoided.
- The foetuses are now and are fully developed miniature dogs.
Wed 12 Sep 2007
- The Dams abdomen starts to get larger.
Sat 22 Sep 2007
- It's very easy now to feel the puppies, counting them might be a bit more difficult.
Tue 25 Sep 2007 -
Wed 3 Oct 2007
- Dam begins to spend a lot more time in self-grooming.
- Her breasts become even more swollen.
- She may become a bit restlessness and begin to search for a suitable place to have her puppies.
Thu 27 Sep 2007
- The dam might lose her appetite during this period. Her abdomen can be crowded with puppies.
- It is better to feed several smaller meals spaced throughout the day.
- You can easily detect abdominal movement now.
Thu 27 Sep 2007 -
Fri 12 Oct 2007
- Nipples and vulva should be gently cleaned with warm water, you might want to trim the hairs surrounding the nipples, to allow easier access for the puppies to suck.
Sun 7 Oct 2007 -
Wed 10 Oct 2007
- Milky fluid may be expressed from the nipples.
Mon 8 Oct 2007
- You might want to start taking the dams rectal temperature each morning and evening.
Thu 11 Oct 2007
- Twelve to 24 hours before she is due to deliver, the dams rectal temperature may drop from 101 to 98 degrees.
- Clear discharge from the vulva might occur.
Fri 12 Oct 2007
- Expected date of whelp. Of course this is just an average. Whelping may take place from the 59th to the 65th day. Puppies born before the 58th day will probably be too young to survive.